Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Amazing Spiderman

I hadn't really planned on seeing this movie. I've never been a big Spiderman fan (as some of you know, I'm more of a Batman girl) and I wasn't impressed with the first trailer I saw. But after seeing the more recent trailers I thought I'd give it a chance. I'm glad I did :)

Like many people, I wasn't crazy about the Spiderman franchise beeing rebooted so soon. It's only been I think five years since the last Spiderman movie. What's the point?

Having said that, I did enjoy the story even though there are many similarities between this and the Toby McGuire version.

I'm not even going to bother explaining the plot since most people are familiar with the story behind how Peter Parker became Spiderman (and if not you can Google it).

What impressed me the most about this movie was the acting. Overall everyone gave amazing performances and I really enjoyed watching the characters. I think Andrew Garield was a good choice to play Peter Parker/Spiderman. I've been a fan of his since I saw him in The Social Network (a movie I highly recommend if you haven't already seen it). I actually like his version of the character better than Toby's. He and Emma Stone (who I'm a fan of as well. She plays Peter's love interest Gwen Stacy.) had amazing chemistry. Their scenes together were probably my favorite part of the whole movie. Even if the dialog was a bit cheesy, even cringeworthy at times. But that's to be expected in a movie like this. Rhys Ifans plays Dr. Curt Connors/The Lizard. He's a great actor and I always enjoy seeing him onscreen.

My only major complaint was the visual effects for The Lizard. Boy were they bad! This movie had a $200 million plus budget and this was the best they could do? I've seen movies with a tenth of that budget that looked better. That was the only part of the visuals that was lacking though. The movie overall looked gorgeous. I saw it in regualar 2D (I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay the extra money this time around) so I can't comment if the 3D was any good. But I can tell you the 2D version looked just fine.

While I still don't think a reboot was necessary, I enjoyed The Amazing Spiderman for what it was- a fun, entertaining summer movie. It's good but not great. The acting is what really sold me on it. If you're into these types of movies definitely check it out. Oh and be sure to stay during the credits. There's a small scene that kind of sets up the eventual sequel.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment