Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Last Exorcisim part 2

WARNING: Some major spoilers if you haven't seen the first movie.

Wow. And I don't mean wow in a good way. This movie was terrible. The only reason I wanted to see this was I liked the first one (minus the ending) and I was curious to see how it would turn out. Big mistake. I know this kind of thing has been said a million times but this was nearly an hour and a half of my life that I'll never get back.

I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll start with the plot, although I use that term loosely. This starts off right where the last one left off. Although instead of filming it like found footage, this time it's shot as a regular film. Anyway, Nell (Ashley Bell) is the only survivor of the horrific events that occurred in the woods at the end of part one. She's sent to live at a girls home in New Orleans where she starts a new life and tries to forget what has happened to her. Easier said than done of course. For awhile things are going great. But soon the demon that was after Nell in the first one returns, determined to claim her once again.

This is the first time in a long time that a "horror" movie made me want to fall asleep in the theater. Not a damn thing happens in this movie aside from the occasional jump scare and a few disturbing images. But even those were very predictable and not scary at all. There's zero character development. I was hoping maybe they would explore the mythology behind the demon after Nell. That would've made an interesting movie in my opinion. But nope. The effects were awful. I know the movie had a low budget (about 5 million I believe) but that's no excuse. The director didn't even try! It felt like some straight to DVD crap. Seriously, there's no reason this movie needed to be made. The should've stopped after the first and left it up to the audiences imagination what happened next. But of course the studio wanted to make more money since the first movie was a pretty sizeable hit.

I really can't recommend this movie to anyone. I guess if you saw the first movie and are interested in where they take it. Even then, wait til it comes to the Redbox and rent it. Don't wast any more money than you need to. Luckily I saw an early matinee of this today so I didn't pay full price. And even better idea for you guys is go watch Sinister. It's a real horror movie that's one of the best I've seen in awhile. It's much more worth your time.

There's two reasons I'm not giving this a lower rating than I am. First because of Ashley Bell. While far from a great actress, she seemed to be the only one actually trying in this whole damn movie. Second, it's extremely short. I timed it- including the four trailers before it and the movie itself, I was only in the theater a little more than an hour and a half.

Okay, that's the end of my little rant. Now I'm going to relax, watch some real movies, and try to regain what little sanity I have left. I'm going to pretend The Last Exorcism part 2 doesn't exist.

My Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment