Saturday, May 17, 2014

Godzilla

I'll be honest with you, I've never really been into the whole Godzilla thing. Sure, I watched some of the old movies when I was a kid (I like to pretend the 1998 movie doesn't exist) but that's about it. When I saw the trailer for this I thought, "This is either going to be really good or really bad." Sadly it's mostly the last one.

There's no plot of course. It's just Godzilla vs. other monsters. At least that's what they want you to think. You barely see Godzilla in this and when you do it's mostly a few quick shots. I get what director Gareth Edwards was trying to do but he didn't execute it very well.

I never thought a Godzilla movie could be boring, but this one was. At least for the first hour and a half or so. They tried to add all this drama crap and it just didn't work. Normally in a movie I want to see an actual story and character development but this is a Godzilla movie dammit- I paid to see him kick some ass!

What's really sad is they got some amazing actors to be in this- Bryan Cranston, Juilette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, Ken Wantanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, and many more. What a waste of talent, especially Bryan Cranston. If you're like me and the main reason you want to see this movie is because of him then you'll be disappointed. He's only in it for a total of about 30 minutes towards the beginning.

The ONLY thing that saved this movie for me (aside from Bryan Cranston who can do no wrong) and is preventing me from giving it a much lower rating is the last 30 minutes. All I'll say is that sequence was just so bad ass and looked amazing. Why couldn't the rest of the movie be like that?

I saw this in 2D and I think if you must see this in theaters that's the way to go. I couldn't see how it would benefit from 3D plus the movie is dark enough without it.

I wouldn't really suggest paying to see this. You just just buy a ticket for another movie and sneak into Godzilla during the last 30 minutes. Not that I would ever do something like that ;)

My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment