Saturday, October 18, 2014

Fury

Fuck! Sorry, but that was all that was going through my head as I walked out of the theater. I don't mean that the movie was bad. Quite the opposite- Fury was a very good movie. But it was so depressing that I immediately went to the bar afterward and had a drink.

Fury takes place in April 1945. World War 2 is just about over. While the Allies are making their final push through Europe, army sergeant Don "Wardaddy" Collier (Brad Pitt) commands a tank with his crew- Boyd "Bible" Swan (Shia LaBeouf), Trini "Gordo" Garcia (Michael Pena), Grady "Coon-Ass" Travis, and the inexperienced Norman Ellison (Logan Lerman). They're outnumbered and outgunned as they attempt to strike deep in the heart of Nazi Germany.

I like that director David Ayer didn't shy away from the brutality of war. I strongly suggest watching this movie on an empty stomach. It's incredibly graphic and violent. I swear every few minutes there was blood spewing out, limbs being torn off, and people on fire. There's even a guy who gets his face literally blown off. It's nearly two and a half hours of non stop action with very little room to breathe.

Each actor, I felt, did an outstanding job. Brad Pitt it goes without saying. I've rarely seen him give a bad performance. The person who really surprised me was Shia LaBeouf. When he's not going bat shit crazy he can actually be a decent actor. I hope he does more movies like this in the future. And Logan Lerman I'm starting to take as a serious actor. His character annoyed me a bit at first being such a dumb ass who could get everyone killed. But the more I thought about it the more I felt sorry for him. He's a guy who's very young and never even seen the inside of a tank. Suddenly he's thrust into this world.

My biggest problem with Fury is the lack of character development. You get very little information about the characters background. I get what David Ayer was trying to do but it still would have been nice to know more.

I've been comparing Fury to 12 Years a Slave in the sense that it's a good movie, but you'll only be able to watch it once. But unlike Fury, with 12 Years a Slave I felt emotionally attached to the characters and was sobbing by the end. Here I was sad and depressed but never really teared up that much.

Still, I think Fury is a movie that everyone should see. Just be sure to have plenty of comedies on hand for afterward.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment