Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Age of Adaline

I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've seen the trailer for this over the last six months or so. Finally I was like, Dammit okay! I'll go see this. I was in the mood for a romance movie anyway. And as far as these types of movies go, this was actually pretty good.

The Age of Adaline tells the story of Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively)- a young widowed mother who, after a car accident, is rendered ageless. She spends the next several decades changing identities, moving every so many years, and never getting too close to anyone out of fear they'll discover her secret. The only one who knows is her daughter Flemming (Ellen Burstyn). At a New Year's Eve party in the present day, she meets Ellis Jones (Michiel Huisman) and they eventually fall in love. But a weekend at his parent's house threatens to uncover the truth.

The movie tries to explain Adaline's condition with some scientific talk which is such bullshit. There's nothing wrong with a simple fantasy if done right.

Blake Lively gives her best performance so far. It's hard to portray someone who physically looks to be in her late 20's but mentally is over 100 years old. But she really pulls it off. Everything from the way she carries herself to the way she talks is very convincing. I absolutely loved her scenes with Ellen Burstyn. I wish the director had spent a little more time on this interesting relationship between a mother and daughter.

I also liked Michiel Huisman (whom I'm already a fan of since he's on Game of Thrones) in this. He's charming in his own way. Some of his dialog isn't great, but it never felt too cheesy.

The great Harrison Ford plays Ellis's father William. His role is kind of small but VERY important. I can't say too much without spoiling it, but his performance was very touching.

My one big complaint is the use of narration. It was completely unnecessary! There are moments where they literally describe everything going on in the scene. I could see it for myself and didn't need it spelled out for me. When will these directors learn that showing is better than telling?

The Age of Adaline is certainly one of the better romance movies I've seen in a long time. Is it sappy? Absolutely. But I still enjoyed watching it and I think you will too.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment