Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Conjuring 2

The Conjuring was a big hit when it was released in 2013. Of course I saw it and it's still one of my favorite horror movies in recent years. When they announced that they were making a sequel I was very excited and knew that I had to see it on opening night. Now that I have I can tell you that while I love the first one more, this was still really good.

The movie takes place six years after the events of the first movie. Lorraine and Ed Warren (Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson) are back. This time they go to London to try and help a single mother and her four kids whose house is plagued by a demonic spirit.

James Wan was offered a shitload of money to direct Fast & Furious 8. While I thought he did a decent job with Furious 7, I'm glad he turned them down in favor of doing this movie. He seems to be at his best in the horror genre. He's able to create such a creep atmosphere with everything from the color scheme to the music and even the way he holds the camera. While I didn't scream out loud as much as I did in the original, the scares in here were overall effective (even if I did see them coming from a mile away). Also, he's able to create characters that for the most part you actually care about. A rarity in horror movies.

My biggest problem with this was that it was too long. The first I believe was just under two hours. This one was two hours and fourteen minutes long. You really feel the length after awhile, to the point where I kept thinking, "Oh my god! Just figure out what's going after this family and vanquish it already." They could have easily cut out a good twenty minutes.

Overall, if you loved The Conjuring or horror movies in general I would definitely check this out. It's way better than most of the movies of this genre these days.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment