Friday, October 30, 2020

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Pros:
•The main things that stick out to me are the cinematography and costumes. It’s certainly a gorgeous movie to look at. They also do some creative things visually while telling the story which I thought was interesting. 
•All of the actors looked like they were having a lot of fun filming this. The highlights in my opinion were Peter Capaldi and Hugh Laurie. 
•I’m not as crazy about Dev Patel like some people are but I thought he was charming in the title role. 

Cons:
•The story itself was kind of... meh. Not bad by any means but I’ll most likely forget about it in a few days. Wouldn’t really recommend you see it in theaters. 
•The tone was all over the place. One minute it’s serious and the next it feels like a satire. It’s the same issue I had with the director’s last movie, The Death of Stalin (which despite this flaw is a far superior movie and one that I revisit often). 
•If you’re looking for a good period piece there are so many better ones than this. Emma (2020) for example. 

My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment