Sunday, October 23, 2011

Film Columbia 2011

This is the second year I've attended and I was not disappointed . The Chatham Film Club runs this and they do a great job. The movies are shown mainly at the Crandell. If you've never been there, you're really missing out. It's a cute old fashioned theater. I remember going there many times as a kid. The prices really haven't changed much since then. Where else can you go these days and see a movie for $5?

Anyway, since the movies I saw technically haven't been released yet, I'm only going to post very brief reviews & my rating so as not to spoil them for you guys.

Anonymous:
Beautiful cinematography. Wonderful acting, especially by Rhys Ifans. Was Edward De Vere really the author of all those plays and not William Shakespheare? Who knows. But this was a great mystery/thriller. Really makes you think (a rarity in movies these days). Definitely worth checking out.
My Rating: 8.5/10


Like Crazy:
A really sweet, romantic, low budget movie. Took me a little while to get into it, but it was good. Really good performances by the two leads (Anton Yelchin & Felecity Jones). An honest look at relationships.
My Rating: 7/10


A Dangerous Method:
Great period movie. The kind Academy loves. Brilliant acting by Michael Fassbender & Viggo Mortensen as Carl Jung & Sigmund Freud. Kiera Knightly was amazing as well. I wouldn't be surprised if she got a Best Actress Oscar for this.
My Rating: 8/10


The Descendants:
This was the Saturday Night Sneak movie at the festival. A really good dramedy starring George Clooney. I both laughed & cried. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous (the movie takes place in Hawaii). While I don't know if it'll win Best Picture, I can see George Clooney getting the award for Best Actor.
My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment