Friday, December 30, 2011

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (IMAX)

Just to let you know, I haven't really seen any of the previous Mission Impossible movies except a few scenes here and there. If I mess anything up, I apologize.

Here it is! My last review of 2011. And what a movie to end the year with.

I admit that at first, I had no desire to see this. But then I heard some IMAX theaters were playing a 6 minute preview of The Dark Knight Rises before it. Sadly, as I found out tonight, my local IMAX theater wasn't one of them. But they did show the latest trailer which was pretty bad ass. But lets move on before I get carried away with my Batman obsession.

I'm glad I decided to go. This movie was a lot of fun. I can see why it's getting good reviews. Was it perfect? Of course not. I don't think anyone really expected it to be.

What can I say? It's Tom Cruise (back of course as Ethan Hunt) literaley running around various countries while he and his team (Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner, and Paula Patton) save the world using cool gadgets. Oh, and occasionaly crap blows up.

As far as a "plot", from what I can understand, has Ethan and his team framed for a bombing in Russia. So then they must stop Hendricks (Michael Nyqvist, best known for playing Mikael Blomkvist in the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), the man actually responsible, before he launches nuclear weapons and goes through with his plan to wipe out everyone on Earth and start over.

I know it sounds ridiculous and beleive me it is, but all the action and scenery more than make up for it. It's not one of those movies you go into expecting a great plot. Like I said though, it was fun.

Tom Cruise was really good. I had almost forgotten how great of an actor he was. I liked the cast as well. Especially Simon Pegg, who provides the comic relief.

If you're going to go see this, defenietly go see it in IMAX. There's certain scenes that to me just wouldn't look the same on a regular screen. Especially the scene where Tom is climbing up and then running down this huge, 100+ story building. It was such an incredible moment and felt so real that it scared the shit out of me. Everyone in the theater seemed to be gasping at that moment too.

Even though it felt more like a summer type movie to me, it's doing really well right now. I'm glad. It's very entertaining. Had me on the edge of my seat. Hope you guys get to see it if you get the chance :)

My Rating: 8/10

Just one more thing- For those that are interested, I'm going to be posting a list of my top 10 favorite movies of 2011. Be sure to look for that sometime tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment