Friday, January 6, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

This movie is based on the 1974 novel written by John Le Carre. I first started reading it back in November, but got sidetracked with the holidays and didn't end up picking it up again until maybe two weeks ago. I'll admit, it's not an easy book to read. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that there's so many characters and things going on that it gets really confusing. I made it through about eleven chapters, but even that was a chore. Now that I've seen the movie and kind of have a better understanding, I'm going to try and finish it. I thought the movie was really good for the most part.

Having said that, it's not for everyone. It's very... "British" I happen to like these kinds of movies, but I'm sure some people will find it boring. It's not your "typical" spy movie with bullets flying and things exploding. Although a few people surprisingly get their brains blown out (literaly). It's mostly a bunch of guys sitting around talking to each other, some flashbacks, and you try and figure out who's telling the truth and who's lying.

I can't say too much about the plot without spoiling things, but Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy takes place in London during the Cold War. There's a Russian double agent who's infeltrated the highest level of British Intelligence. George Smiley (played by the amazing Gary Oldman), who's been forced into semi retirement, tries to figure out who it is.

The movie starts off very slow, but gets more interesting as it goes on, especially during the last half.

I'll admit, the main reason I wanted to see this was because Tom Hardy is in it. He's defenetly one actor to watch this year. He's got several movies coming out that I can't wait to see. His role in this was small, but important. I really liked his character and he played the part well. He does wear this hideous 70's wig, but Tom is very easy on the eyes and one of the few people who could pull that look off. A little fyi for the ladies- there is a scene that has Tom pantless, but sadly you don't get to see much :( Okay, moving on before I scare you off with my Tom Hardy obsession...

The best part of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for me, and what the movie will probably be remembered for, is the acting. They put together an amazing cast. I already mentioned Tom Hardy, but this is Gary Oldman's movie. He's such a great actor and I'm surprised he hasn't won an Oscar already (he might get nominated for this. Not sure though.). He really brought the character of George Smiley to life. I've been a fan of his for years and can't wait to see what he does next. Also in the movie is the always incredible Colin Firth (although not his best role) and several other British actors that I've seen before but I'm too lazy to Google their names right now. The overall story is pretty good, but it's the acting that makes my rating so high.

If you enjoy these kind of movies, I think you'll like this. And if you don't, atleast give it a chance. The acting alone is worth the price of admisson.

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment