Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thor: The Dark World (3D)

I'm not afraid to admit I'm a huge superhero fan. I've seen just about every superhero movie that's been released in the last several years. If that makes me a nerd than so be it. So you'll understand when I tell you that I'm still recovering from the massive nerdgasm I got while watching the awesomeness that is Thor: The Dark World. 

Without giving too much away, the basic plot of the movie is that thousands of years ago the Dark Elves wanted to take over the universe and send it into darkness with a special weapon known as the Aether. They were stopped by Asgard warriors, but the leader of the Dark Elves named Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) escaped. Now he's returned and it's up to Thor (Chris Hemsworth), who forms an uneasy alliance with Loki (Tom Hiddleston), to stop him. Added into the mix of course is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), Thor's love interest. 

There's a lot of things going on in this movie and at times it can be a bit confusing, but it's worth the effort. As much as I love the first movie, I think I like this one a little better. My biggest complaint about the first Thor was that they spent way too much time on Earth and not enough on Asgard. Luckily in The Dark World there are very few scenes on Earth and it takes place mostly on Asgard. I absolutely loved how the director explored this amazing world. It was cool to see what life would be like there. And the cinematography as well as the costumes were beautiful. 

Then there's Chris Hemsworth. What can I say? The guy is gorgeous and does a great job as Thor. His scenes with Loki were epic. By far my favorite part of the movie. Speaking of Loki, how awesome is Tom Hiddleston? I can't imagine anyone else playing the role. They just need to hurry up and give him his own movie already. If you haven't seen the videos of Loki talking to kids you've got to go search for them on YouTube. They're hysterical. 

The music, composed by Brian Tyler (whose previous soundtracks include Iron Man 3 and Fast Five) is beautifully done and fits perfectly with each scene.

There were only a couple of flaws that I noticed. Nothing major and certainly nothing that should stop you from seeing it. The special effects looked good for the most part, but there were a few moments were they looked cheap. The villain, while he looked cool, wasn't all that great compared to other movies like this. 

The biggest flaw was the 3D. I had hoped that they would've learned their lesson from the first movie. Sadly they didn't. The 3D was barely noticeable. Save your money and go see this in regular 2D. I'm a fan of 3D if it's done right. Seriously, if you're not going to actually film in 3D don't even bother. Enough with these cheap conversion jobs. I could spend all day talking about this, but I'll spare you and move on. 

Like the other Marvel films, be sure you stay through the credits. There's actually two scenes this time- one in the middle of the credits and the other at the end. All I'll say about them is one if them sets up another Marvel movie that's coming out in the not so distant future. 

Despite a couple of flaws, Thor: The Dark World is a really fun movie. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

My Rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment