Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Lego Movie

When they first announced that they were going to make a Lego movie I thought, "Great. Yet another part of my childhood is being destroyed by Hollywood." But then the first trailer came out and when I saw it I was impressed. So what's my final verdict? I'm happy to say that The Lego Movie is really cute and actually a damn good movie.

The basic plot is this- Lego World is being ruled by the evil Lord Business (voiced by Will Ferrell). He has the world divided into separate groups and does not want anyone to mix with a different kind of Lego. Nor does he want anyone thinking outside the box. Along comes an ordinary Lego named Emmett (Chris Pratt) who is mistakenly believed to be the Special, someone in the prophecy who's destined to defeat Lord Business and stop him from destroying all of Lego World.

I just love all the talented actors that directors Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (21 Jump Street) brought together. Not only do you have the ones I just mentioned, but the cast also includes- Morgan Freeman, Will Forte, Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, etc. Even the great Liam Neeson voices the character of Bad Cop/Good Cop. Everyone did a fantastic job.

The movie was filmed using a combination of CGI and stop motion to make it look like the whole movie was made out of Legos. It looked so real. I ended up seeing it in 2D since I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay the extra money for 3D. Everything looked fine, except for a few moments in the beginning when the images looked a bit off, maybe even blurry.

The jokes in here were really funny and done well. I swear us adults were laughing more than the kids. There were a number of jokes that went right over kids heads.

The soundtrack fit really well here. Just to warn you though, there's a song in here called Everything is Awesome. While it's very good and catchy, it's one of those songs that once you hear it, you'll never be able to get it out of your head.

Now it's time for me to nitpick. The movie did drag for me a little bit at first. Not that it was bad, it just started out okay. Luckily I was won over as the story went on. Mainly due to all the really cool characters they introduced. All of your favorite ones are here from franchises including- Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Batman, Superman, and many more.

The Lego Movie is a very cute and clever movie that can be enjoyed not only by kids, but adults as well. There's something for everyone.

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment