Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Other Woman

I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy a good chick flick every once in awhile. The key word here is good. Lets face it, most movies in this genre have been complete shit the last few years. The only reason I wanted to see The Other Woman was because Jamie Lannister (I guess I should call him by his real name- Nikolaj Coster-Walau) is in it. So after leaving the theater I was surprised that I actually liked it.

The plot is pretty simple and predictable. Infact, if you do go see this, be prepared for every cliche in the book. Carly (Cameron Diaz) seems to have found the perfect guy in Mark (Nikolaj Coster-Walau). He's charming, successful, and romantic. Then she discovers that he's married. She accidently meets his wife Kate (Leslie Mann) and the two oddly enough become friends. They also find out that he's been cheating on both of them with the much younger Amber (Kate Upton). All three of them team up to plot revenge.

The movie is directed by Nick Cassavetes. He also directed one of my favorite romantic movies- The Notebook. Here he does a decent enough job. A lot of the comedic moments were pretty funny. Maybe not laugh so much your stomach hurts funny, but I still had a good time. I could have done without some of the gross out humor though. I'm not against it. Hell, I like The Hangover. It just wasn't needed here.

Also, the cinematography seemed a little... off. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Some scenes looked good while others not so much.

What I really enjoyed were most of the performances. Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, and Kate Upton looked like they were having a lot of fun together. Nikolaj was great as always. He really seems to have the whole charming asshole role down pat. The only actress, and I use that term VERY loosely in this case, was Nicki Minaj. Why was she even in this? Her voice was so annoying that I practically cringed in my seat every time she spoke. Luckily her role is very small and she only has about five minutes worth of screen time.

Lets face it, The Other Woman isn't going to be winning any awards. But as far as chick flicks go, it isn't that bad. I had fun watching it. Ladies, if you're looking for something fun to do on a girls night out, by all means go see this.

My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment