Saturday, April 5, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (IMAX 3D)

Holy shit this movie was amazing!! That pretty much sums up my experience watching The Winter Soldier. It was one of the best movies Marvel has put out to date, and that's saying a lot. It's certainly a million times better than the first Captain America movie. Not that I didn't like that one. I didn't hate it or anything, it was just okay in my opinion.

Anyway, The Winter Soldier takes place after the events of The Avengers. Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans) is still struggling to adjust to the modern world. Now there's a new threat that he must deal with- a mysterious Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan). Captain America is joined by Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson) and Sam Wilson/Falcon (Anthony Mackie). Of course, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is in this as well.

The movie is directed by Anthony & Joe Russo. Their previous work up until this point has mainly been in TV. They do an amazing job here. The action/fight scenes were well shot and choreographed. I love how this movie is pretty much non stop action the whole time. It really kept me on the edge of my seat. There's also a lot of funny moments throughout which was nice to see. There's something for everyone here.

It was announced that Anthony & Joe Russo would be back to direct Captain America 3. I think that's a smart move since Winter Soldier was so good. I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with this franchise.

I'll admit, Chris Evans wouldn't have been my first choice to play Captain America. But now after seeing both Captain America movies plus The Avengers, I can't imagine anyone else playing the role.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury... what can I already say that hasn't already been said a million times? The guy is a total badass.

I thought Anthony Mackie gave a good performance as Falcon. I loved the look of his costume. Can't wait to see where the go with his character in Captain America 3.

Someone who really surprised me was Sebastian Stan as the Winter Soldier. His character has very few lines, but that doesn't matter. The way he was able to act mostly with his eyes was incredible. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for Marvel in terms of their villains. Lets face it, with the exception of Loki, Marvel villains have always been pretty weak.

I think Winter Soldier is a flawless movie with the exception of one tiny thing- the 3D isn't that noticeable except for a few scenes. It's not completely terrible nor does it take away from the movie itself, but it's not great either. Which is sad because the movie looks amazing in IMAX. Unfortunately the only way you can see it in IMAX is in 3D. I still think it's worth the extra money though. But no matter which format you see it in, you'll have a great time.

I really shouldn't have to say this anymore but I will- stay through the credits! There's two scenes- one in the middle of the credits and one at the very end. All I'll say is that they were both great and set things up nicely for future Marvel movies.

Winter Soldier is hands down the best movie I've seen in 2014 so far (I'm not counting Frozen since even though I just saw it a few weeks ago, it was still technically released in 2013). I never even noticed the well over two hour run time. I could have easily sat there for another two hours. It's so well made and action packed and fun that I might just have to go see it again next week.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a massive nerdgasm I need to recover from :)

My Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment