Saturday, March 14, 2015

Cinderella (IMAX)

I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the trailer. Disney's latest trend is taking their classic animated fairy tales and re-telling them in live action form. After being disappointed with Maleficent, I'm happy to say that they've gotten it right with Cinderella.

There's nothing new as far as the plot goes. It's basically the same as the animated version. When Ella's (Lily James) father unexpectedly dies, she's left at the mercy of her cruel Stepmother (Cate Blanchett) and two Stepsisters (Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera). Things begin to change when she meets the handsome Prince Kit (Richard Madden). 

The director Kenneth Branagh ,who also directed the first Thor, does an amazing job bringing this story to life. It's something that's clearly aimed for young children, especially girls, but he's managed to make it enjoyable for adults as well. I wasn't the only one there without a child and we all were having a good time.

Every actor in here was perfectly cast. Lily James not only looks the part but really captures the goodness and courage of Cinderella. She also had great chemistry with Richard Madden, who after seeing this, I can't imagine anyone better to play the Prince. Being a huge Game of Thrones fan, he'll always be Robb Stark to me. Anyway, you could tell the two of them had a lot of fun. I especially loved their first scene where Cinderella meets the Prince in the forest. It was really sweet and they played off each other well. 

The great cate Blanchett is very convincing as the wicked Stepmother and the movie is careful not to make her too one dimensional.

Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera are over the top as the Stepsisters and some people probably won't like that. But I didn't mind because that's how they're suppose to be.

I just have to say that whoever designed the costumes should get an Oscar. They were so beautiful! Especially Cinderella's dresses. I really want her blue ball gown. 

This is one of those movies that I highly suggest you see in IMAX if you can. The cinematography and visual effects are stunning and seeing it on an IMAX screen really makes you feel like you're a part of this magical world. 

If you're into fairy tales I highly recommend this. It's definetly a movie I will watch again and again. I had such a good time. It almost made me believe in Prince Charming again... Almost ;)

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment