Saturday, March 7, 2015

Chappie (IMAX)

God dammit Neill Blomkamp! I wanted to give you a chance with this. I really did. Even though I haven't watched it since it came out, I thought District 9 was good. And I'm probably in the minority, but I liked Elysium (although it wasn't great). Walking out of the theater after watching Chappie however, I felt very disappointed. Maybe even a little angry. 

Chappie takes place in Johannesburg, South Africa (where Neill Blomkamp is from) in the not so distant future. Crime is being patrolled by a robotic police force. One of these robots is stolen and programmed with artificial intelligence by creator Deon Wilson (Dev Patel). The robot becomes known as Chappie (played by Sharlto Copley through the use of motion capture), the first of his kind with the ability to think and feel for himself. Of course, some people view Chappie as a threat and will stop at nothing to destroy him. 

Let me just tell you right now that the trailers for this movie have been VERY misleading. They make you think that the story is just Dev Patel's character creating Chappie and Hugh Jackman (who plays Vincent Moore, the main villain) doesn't like it so he goes after them. There's so much more that they don't tell you. They would've been better off sticking to that simple story. Instead they toss in these two South African rappers who play gangsters and from there it just gets weird.

The movie starts off okay. I like how Chappie is basically a child at first and has to learn an experience life. I'll admit, there were a few moments where it hit me right in the feels. Also, I thought the visuals were impressive considering the 49 million dollar budget which is pretty low as far as movies go. 

But once the movie got to the whole "gangster training" scene that's when things began to get stupider and stupider. Chappie is the only character in the film that I actually liked. All of the human characters are so flat and underdeveloped. 

The movie drags so much that I felt like it was never going to end. And when it did finally get to the ending, I wanted to shout, "Oh fuck you!"

I don't really reccomend you see this in theaters. Wait til it's on Netflix. But if you insist, see it on a regular screen and not IMAX. Is not worth the extra money. 

Chappie had potential. That's what's so frustrating. Neill Blomkamp really blew it here.

My Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment