Saturday, August 29, 2015

Sinister 2

I really enjoyed the first Sinister. It had characters I cared about and was one of the few horror movies in recent years that actually scared the crap out of me. I was a little nervous about this one however, since it wasn't directed by Scott Derrickson and it's been getting terrible reviews. In fact I had planned on just waiting until this came to Netflix. But I remembered that I had a free movie pass so I figured why not put it to good use. Plus I wanted to support C. Robert Cargill who I've been a fan of for years. So what's the verdict? Well to be honest, it's a terrible movie. But it's far from the worst I've ever seen.

Sinister 2 picks up not long after the events of the first movie. This time around we follow a new family- a young mother named Courtney (Shannyn Sossamon) and her two sons Dylan (Robert Daniel Sloan) and Zach (Dartanian Sloan) who move into a rural house with a terrible past. When former Deputy So & So (James Ransone, the only actor to reprise his role from the first movie besides the guy playing Bughuul) learns that this family would be next in line to fall to Bughuul he does everything he can to help them. 

As I said, Scott Derrickson wasn't the director this time around (although he did write the script along with C. Robert Cargill). Instead it was Ciaran Foy, who up until now had done mostly short films. Boy did he fuck up here! I didn't feel scared at all when watching this. There were a lot of jump scares (far too many for my liking) and only one of them got a slight reaction out of me. It's like he took everything that made the first movie great and just shit on it. 

I don't blame C. Robert Cargill and Scott Derrickson at all. They had an interesting story here. Hell, there were even a few scenes that I thought were decent. If it weren't for them I'd be giving this movie a much lower rating. 

Somehow Ciaran Foy screwed things up translating this from script to screen. I understand having your own interpretation of the story but come on! And that ending... Seriously? I was already angry at this point and this just pushed me over the edge. When they showed that moment and then cut to the credits I was like, "Fuck you!". And no, I didn't just think that in my head. I literally said it out loud in the theater. 

I could go on a rant all night about Sinister 2 but I'll spare you that. As I said it wasn't the worst, but I still wouldn't waste my time or money on it. If you're really curious, wait til it's on Netflix. Better yet just watch the first one again. 

My Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment