Saturday, December 12, 2015

Room

I've been hearing nothing but good things about Room for months. So when I heard that the small theater near my house (which is owned by the film club I belong to) was showing it this week I jumped at the chance. I've seen a lot of movies this year and Room is definitely one of the best. 

Five year old Jack (Jacob Tremblay) has spent his entire life in a 10 by 10 foot space that his mother, whom he calls Ma (Brie Larson), has named Room. 7 years earlier, Ma had been kidnapped by a man referred to only as Old Nick (Sean Bridges) and placed in there. Despite their circumstances, Ma does everything she can to make Jack feel safe, loved, and have as normal a life as possible. One day they finally escape and Jack faces his biggest challenge yet- the outside world. 

The movie is just about two hours long. The first half focuses on Ma and Jack's life inside of Room. The other half is about them trying to adjust (or in Ma's case readjust) into the world. 

There's been a lot of talk that Brie Larson is the front runner to win Best Actress at this years Oscars. I would love to see that happen. Her performance is so raw and realistic. 

I hope Jacob Tremblay gets some recognition too because his performance was just as good. Very convincing. He is an amazing young actor. 

The only flaw I can think of is that the conflict between Ma and her father Robert (William H. Macy) never gets resolved. But it's such a good movie that I'm willing to overlook that. 

Room is so heartbreaking to watch that I was in tears during many of the scenes. It's a powerful, well acted, and well made movie that I think everyone should see. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment