Saturday, December 19, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (IMAX 3D)

Just to let you know, this will be a SPOILER FREE review. 

AHHHHHHHH! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! Sorry, I'm still recovering from a massive nerdgasm. I had to get that out of my system. As you can already tell, I absolutely loved The Force Awakens. I can't even remember the last time I was this excited for a movie.

Normally this would be where I talk about the plot but I've decided not to do that with this review. For me it was an even better experience going into the movie not knowing too much other than what's already been shown in the trailers. All I'll say is it's set 30 years after the events of the original trilogy. It brings back many of the classic characters including Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew), and many more. At the same time you're introduced to new characters- scavenger Rey (Daisy Ridley), former Storm Trooper Finn (John Boyega), and Resistance pilot Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac). They must face new enemies, one of them being Kylo Ren (Adam Driver).

You can tell that director JJ Abrams not only is a huge Star Wars fan but that he did his research. It was amazing to see all the attention to detail. Everything from the dirty and used feel of things reminiscent of the original to the look and design of the robots and creatures and so much more. There's practical effects as well as CGI. But unlike the CGI in those fucking prequels, it doesn't look fake and isn't overkill.

One of my favorite things about this movie was the phenomenal performances. Harrison Ford worked his ass off. A lot of times with famous actors you just see them and not their character. Quite the opposite here. All I saw was Han Solo. Probably one of the biggest cheers from the audience was when he and Chewbacca first appeared on screen.

I was also impressed with the new cast. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley have great chemistry as well as comedic timing. There's plenty of humor here but it's never over the top. They also pull off the action and dramatic scenes very well. It's so nice having a movie where I actually care about the characters. These actors have a bright future ahead of them and I can't wait to see what they do next.

If you happen to live near a theater that has an IMAX screen I urge you to see it in that format. This is the type of movie that IMAX was made for. It really makes you feel like you're right there in the middle of the action. And the 3D is really good. For once it's noticeable, unlike most 3D movies I see these days.

I can't even begin to describe the amazing experience I had with The Force Awakens. Not only the movie itself but everything leading up to it. I met a lot of really nice people while waiting in line. The line by the way was the biggest I've ever seen for a movie. It wrapped around the whole theater and back out into the mall. Even with that big of a crowd everyone was very respectful and there weren't any issues from what I could tell.

Do I recommend the movie? Hell yeah I recommend it! Go see it. Go see it multiple times. Thank you JJ Abrams for creating this masterpiece. You've made this Star Wars fan very happy.

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment