Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Big Short

Time for me to catch up on some more Best Picture nominees. After this the only one I have left to see is Bridge of Spies. Anyway, a lot of people have been talking about The Big Short- some like it and some don't. In my opinion, while I wasn't sure at first, it's a very well made movie. I loved it in fact. 

The Big Short takes place in the mid 2000's during the mortgage housing crisis. It tells three parallel stories about the men who correctly predicted it and how they took on the banks for their greed and stupidity- Dr. Michael Burry (Christian Bale), Mark Baum (Steve Carrell), Charlie Gellar (John Magaro), Jamie Shipley (Finn Whittrock), and Jared Vannett (Ryan Gosling). 

For me the best thing about this movie was the strong performances, especially Christian Bale and Steve Carrell. I love that Steve Carrell is doing another more serious role since he's really good at it. Although make no mistake, there's plenty of humor here. But not the typical over the top gross out humor you see in a lot of comedies these days. 

Obviously I knew about the housing crisis. Who didn't? I'll admit though, I didn't really know how it worked exactly. What I love about what director Adam McKay has done is that he's tried to explain it in a way that people can understand. I was a bit confused in the beginning but after a while I was like, "Okay, I think I've got this." 

The only complaint I have is that the editing was kind of weird, mainly in the beginning. Still it's nothing that should stop you from seeing the movie. 

Do I recommend The Big Short? Absolutely. It's over two hours long and not once was I bored. I found the whole thing very fascinating. The movie definetly deserves all the attention it's getting. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment