Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Hateful Eight

I don't know if I would call myself a Quentin Tarantino fan. I like some of his movies, more recently Inglorious Basterds. His last movie Django Unchained I didn't really care for aside from the acting. Still after seeing trailers for The Hateful Eight I was really excited. Now that I've seen it I can tell you that it is an amazing, well made movie... for the first two hours or so. The last half hour/45 minutes is when it all goes to hell. 

The Hatefull Eight is about a bounty hunter named John Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his captive Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh). He's taking her to the town of Red Rock to be hanged. Along the way they encounter another bounty hunter- Major Marquis Warren (Samuel L. Jackson) and a man claiming to be the new sheriff of Red Rock, Chris Mannix (Walton Goggins). Due to a blizzard they're forced to spend a few days in a cabin already inhabited by some interesting characters- Bob (Demian Bichir), Oswaldo Mobray (Tim Roth), Joe Gage (Michael Madsen), and General Sandy Smithers (Bruce Dern). 

Quentin Tarantino is a very talented director. One of the best out there. Say what you want about him but his movies have always had gorgeous cinematography, a great soundtrack/score, and some of the best dialog I've ever heard. The Hateful Eight is no exception. 

All of the actors did an amazing job. There wasn't a bad performance here. One of my favorite performances aside from the great Samuel L. Jackson was Walton Goggins. Being such a huge fan of Sons of Anarchy I adored him as Venus. He's really funny in this and his timing is perfect. I really hope he and Tarantino work together again in the future. 

The movie is nearly three hours long. Or over three hours depending on what version you see. The one I saw clocked in at about two hours and 47 minutes. It does drag a bit at times. Mainly towards the end though. 

What made me really mad was, as I mentioned before, was that I was really loving this movie for the first two hours. Then in typical Tarantino fashion, he loses his damn mind! The last half hour/45 minutes turns into a fucking cartoon! There's heads literally blowing up and blood and brains everywhere (don't go see this movie if you're squeamish). We've come to expect that from him but that's still no excuse. But because the first two hours were so good, I can't give this any lower of a rating than I am. 

If you're a Tarantino fan, you're going to love the hell out of this. Even if you're not, I still recommend it. It really is one of those movies that needs to be seen on the big screen. 

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment