Friday, December 8, 2017

The Disaster Artist

Plot:
Based on the book of the same name. Greg Sestero (Dave Franco), an aspiring actor, meets the mysterious Tommy Wiseau (James Franco) at an acting class. A friendship forms and eventually the two of them end up making what many consider the best bad movie of all time- The Room. 

Pros:
•I’ve been looking forward to this movie for a long time. The Room itself is bizarrely fascinating but just as fascinating is the making of it. I haven’t read The Disaster Artist yet, although after seeing this movie I definitely plan on ordering a copy. This stands a good chance of making my top ten list. I had a blast! 
•You can tell how huge of a fan James Franco is of The Room. Very much a passion project. At first I was worried his portrayal of Tommy would come off as just a bad impression but it totally didn’t. And he doesn’t shy away from showing you the really shitty things Tommy did (and from what I’ve read there was even more that wasn’t shown here). 
•It’s also a very interesting look at just how hard it is to make it in Hollywood. 
•So many funny moments! I’d call this more of a dramedy though. 
•While James Franco does a great job, The one that really stood out was his brother Dave. He was amazing as Greg. 
•So much attention to detail. I’m not spoiling anything by telling you this but during the credits they do side by side comparisons showing you a few of the classic moments from the actual movie and the ones they recreated here. They totally nailed it from the props right down to the exact same wardrobe. 
•If you’re a fan of The Room (and if you’re interested in this movie you probably already are) you’re going to love The Disaster Artist. 

Cons:
•A few minor issues with the pacing and editing in a few spots but nothing that should stop you from seeing the movie. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment