Friday, October 4, 2019

Joker

Pros:
•Everything you’ve heard about Joaquin Phoenix’s performance is true. He is absolutely amazing and put everything into this. Definitely Oscar worthy. 
•Even taking the Joker aspect out of it (honestly throughout a lot of it I forgot it was a Joker origin story), it’s still a brilliant character study about a guy who keeps getting beat down by life so bad until finally he snaps. Great writing. 
•Never in a million years did I think Todd Phillips would direct a movie like this. He did an great job and I would love to see continue to venture out and do other things besides raunchy comedies (not that I didn’t enjoy some of those). 
•Gorgeously shot. Looks even better on an IMAX screen so if you get a chance definitely see it in this format. 
•The editing was really good. The movie flowed well. Those two hours just flew by. 
•So much tension I can’t still feel the anxiety in my chest. This is a movie that will make you very nervous and uncomfortable. I mean that in a good way. I was just mesmerized and on the edge of my seat, especially in the last act. 
•One of the things that really sticks out to me is the score. So powerful and well done. I’m definitely putting it on my Spotify playlist. 

Cons:
•There’s only one and it’s VERY minor. There’s a brief scene at the end that kind of made me roll my eyes a bit. It’s not a badly made scene but it wasn’t needed at all. If that had just not included it (it’s really only about a minute or two long) this would’ve been a perfect movie to me. Still, it’s easily one of the best I’ve seen this year and I highly recommend it. 

My Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment