Friday, February 28, 2020

The Invisible Man

I’ll be honest, I really wasn’t planning on seeing this at all. I had seen the trailer for it several times before a lot of movies the last couple of months and it just looked stupid. But after the decent reviews it’s been getting I figured I’d give it a chance. I’m so glad I did. This is one of those cases where you shouldn’t judge a movie by its trailer. The Invisible Man was actually really good. 

Hats off to director Leigh Whannell (who also directed Upgrade, a movie everyone keeps telling me to watch and I’m definitely going to make it a point to now) for creating  this really well made psychological thriller that doesn’t rely on big special effects, jump scares or tons of action. I mean there was definitely more action towards the end but it wasn’t overkill. Instead he uses the cinematography, score, etc. to really set the tone. It’s also a slow burn which I know some people won’t like but I was totally fine with. 

Elisabeth Moss once again gives another brilliant performance. She was very believable as an abuse victim. I know it’s very early but this is one of my favorite performances of the year so far. 

My only complaint is the twists I could see coming from a mile away. I wish it had given me a few more surprises. Other than that it’s a great movie that I highly recommend. Go see it. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment