Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8

I was really excited to see this movie. I'm a huge JJ Abrams fan. He directed the 2009 version of Star Trek (which is one of my favorite movies). I wasn't disappointed.

This movie was basically one big tribute to Stephen Spielberg. I grew up watching his movies so this one was refreshing to see. Brought back a lot of good memories. They don't make too many movies like that anymore. Spielberg was actually an executive producer on this one.

The movie takes place in 1979. The story is basically about a boy named Joe, who (along with his Dad, the town deputy) is dealing with a huge tragedy. At the same time Joe and his friends are making their own zombie movie to submit for a film contest. One night while they are filming a scene, a train derails nearby. Of course, there's more to it than that as the military gets involved and tries to keep what's really going on a secret. Meanwhile, several people in town go missing as well as a bunch of dogs. Joe's Dad tries to find out what's really going on.

I'd say more but then I'd really be spoiling the movie. I really enjoyed it though. The action scenes and special effects (considering the film's low budget) were great. Just to warn you, there are a couple of jump scares. I nearly had a heart attack during them. The music that played during the movie I thought fit perfectly.

This movie features a cast almost entirely of unknown actors. The only ones I recognized were Elle Fanning (Dakota Fanning's younger sister. She was in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and the guy who played Joe's Dad. I can't think of his name but I know I've seen him in other movies and/or tv shows.

I only have two minor complaints. First, some of the acting was not so good in a few scenes. But considering this is some of the actors first movie (that I know of) I'm willing to let that slide. The only other thing was some of the scenes felt a little long and dragged out. But not too bad.

I'm not sure if Super 8 will make a lot of money. It's not for everyone. But it could become a cult classic. Who knows. But I def recommend this if you like 80's/Spielberg movies.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment