Friday, June 17, 2011

Green Lantern (3D)

After watching the latest trailer, I had a feeling this movie would be bad. Turns out... I was right for the most part.

The movie starts out with the history of the Green Lanterns. Basically they are a group made up of different aliens/species that protect the universe and defend justice throughout the galaxy or something like that. Anyway, this big evil creature thing that sucks the souls/fear out of people (and as we later learn can apparently read minds)ends up killing a few of the Green Lanterns. So they need some replacements and then they'll try to stop the creature. So in comes this odd looking purple alien (who looks like he came out of an old episode of Power Rangers that I watched as a kid). He's sent to Earth with one of the Green Lantern rings so that it can choose someone worthy.

Of course, it chooses a guy named Hal (Ryan Reynolds), a fighter pilot. As with a lot of movies, they decided to toss a tragic family element into this. And then for the next hour and fourth five minutes it's basically him learning to becoming a Green Lantern & trying to fight off the bad guys. One of which is a scientist (I can't remember the actors name) who ends up getting infected by the evil creature and strange things begin happening to him. One of which is his brain swells up so big that he looks absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, everytime he came onscreen I couldn't help but laugh hysterically, earning some strange looks from the people sitting around me I'm sure.

This movie was pretty bad (although not the worst I've seen this year). There were several cringe worthy scenes and the dialog was extremely cheesy even for a superhero movie. Blake Lively is in this. Although she serves no purpose other than to be Hal's love interest. The whole plot of the movie was pretty stupid and some scenes left me really disappointed.

There were some good things about it however. The biggest (surprisingly) was the 3D. It was actually good! I give the director a lot of credit for filming it in 3D rather than converting it in post production. The other thing was Ryan Reynolds. He's easy on the eyes and in a few moments in the movie his acting wasn't too bad.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend this movie. I guess if you like Ryan or you enjoy movies that are nothing but eye candy.

My stating: 5.5/10

1 comment: