Monday, October 22, 2012

Film Columbia 2012

Just as I did last year, since most of these movies haven't been released yet, I'm just going to give a brief review and my rating for each.

Quartet-
Excellent performances by Maggie Smith, Michael Gamdon, and the rest of the cast. Cinematography was gorgeous. Editing could've been a little tighter though. And I wish the ending had been a few minutes longer. But overall I enjoyed the film. This is Dustin Hoffman's first time directing (well, directing a complete movie anyway) and I think he did a good job.
My Rating: 7.5/10

Mea Maxima Culpa/Silence in the House of God-
Very powerful documentar about the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal, mainly focusing on the case of Father Lawrence Murphy, who abused several deaf boys at the school he worked at over the course of many years. There's several interviews with the survivors and seeing them tell their story, my heart went out to them. Their gestures and facial expressions were absolutely heartbreaking. The only issue I really had was the use of voiceovers during the interviews. I just didn't think it was necessary. But very good movie. I think everyone should see this.
My Rating: 8.5/10

17 Girls-
One of my least favorite films of the festival. A French film based on a true story that occured in Massachucets. 17 very naive girls from one high school end up getting pregnant around the same time. The acting was pretty bad. There were a few scenes that were okay, but that's about it.
My Rating: 4.5/10

Hyde Park On Hudson-
Bill Murray as FDR? Sounds crazy, but I think he did an amazing job. As did the other actors. There were a few moments I wasn't crazy about, but I had a great time watching this. I can see Bill Murray getting an Oscar nomination for his performance.
My Rating: 8.5/10

Rust & Bone-
Wow! I didn't expect to like this movie as much as I did. The amazing Marion Cotillard plays Stephanie, a killer whale trainer who loses part of her legs in an accident. She meets Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts, who's brilliant in this. He'll be one to watch in the coming years.) a single dad who was once a kickboxer. What I loved about this movie was it's portrayl of Stephanie & Ali's relationship. Very realistic.
My Rating: 9/10

Amour-
This was the Saturday Night Sneak movie. Another French film. Boy was this depressing! It's the story of an elderly couple. The wife has a stroke and makes her husband promise that he won't take her to the hospital again. You see her slowly deteriorate and he loves her so much and does his best to take care of her. Honestly, I can't recommend this movie. It's such a downer and I was in a lousy mood for the rest of the night. If you do end up seeing it, it's one of those movies that you'll only watch once. The only positive thing I have to say is that it was well acted. I'm not even sure I want to give it a rating. But, I guess I will. This is based pretty much on the acting.
My Rating: 7/10

The Sessions-
One of the most talked about movies. Based on a true story. John Hakes plays Mark O'Brien, a man stricken with polio who wants to experience sex. So he hires a sex surrogate named Cheryl (Helen Hunt). Very funny and touching movie. Amazing performances all around. I think John Hawkes has a good chance at winning an Oscar this year. William H Macy plays a priest in this. He was one of my favorite parts.
My Rating: 9/10

Silver Linings Playbook-
This was without a doubt my favorite movie of the festival! Perfect mix of comedy, drama, and romance. Bradley Cooper plays Pat, a bipolar former teacher who was just released after spending 8 months in a mental hospital. He moves back in with his parents (Robert De Niro & Jacki Weaver) and is also determined to get back together with his ex wife Nikki. But then he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence, giving another Oscar worthy performance), a young widow with plenty of issues of her own. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll cheer. I think this movie will win all sorts of awards. I strongly suggest you see it when it's released. I loved it and I think you will too.
My Rating: 10/10

Cloud Atlas-
I hadn't planned on seeing this, but I decided to give it a chance. I'm not even going to bother explaining the plot since I'm not even sure what to make of it. It's based on a book many deemed unfilmable. Most of the actors (the cast includes Ton Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Susan Surandon, and many more) play multiple roles. It's visually stunning and the musical score was very well done. Just to warn you though, the movie is nearly three hours long and you really have to pay attention the whole time. But it's well worth the effort.
My Rating: 8.5/10

Many thanks to the Crandell theater, Chatham Film Club, and everyone else who made this festival possible. I had such a great time. Can't wait til next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment