Saturday, November 3, 2012

Flight

I hadn't really heard of this movie until seeing a trailer for it before Argo last week. (Yes, I know I still haven't posted my review of Argo. Last week was just crazy. I'll try to have it up by tomorrow) I thought I'd give it a chance since I'll watch almost anything with Denzel Washington in it.

Denzel plays Whip Whitaker, an airline pilot who's a severe alcoholic (and that's putting it mildly). During some rough weather, the plane he's piloting begins to crash, but because of some quick maneuvering, he's able to land the plane with very few casualties. Everyone is calling him a hero. However, during an investigation, which determines the crash was cause by mechanical issues with the plane, they discover that Whip was drunk and had cocaine in his system while he was flying. He could be facing some serious jail time.

Despite the movie dragging at times, overall I thought it was good. Denzel gives another Oscar worthy performance. Although I doubt he'll get nominated, only because there's just so many great performances in the Actor category this year that the Academy will overlook him. Which is a shame. Anyway, I can't imagine anyone else playing this character. I don't think the movie would have worked. He was very convincing as an alcoholic who's world is crumbling all around him.

Just a bit of a warning, the plane crash scene was super intense. It made many people in the theater I was in cringe and jump in their seats, myself included. Makes you never want to get on a plane again.

The supporting cast was good as well. Especially John Goodman. He plays Whip's friend/drug dealer, who provides some much needed comic relief. His scenes with Denzel were just priceless.

The ending was okay, but felt a little too preachy.

I would say definitely go see Flight if you're a fan of Denzel Washington or if you're into these types of movies.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment