Saturday, March 15, 2014

Frozen

I know, I know. I'm super late seeing this. I figured now was as good a time as any since none of the new releases this week looked good. I'm so happy I went since Frozen is such a cute movie.

Frozen tells the story of two sisters- Else (voiced by Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell). Elsa is now Queen of the kingdom of Arendelle. She also has been keeping a secret- she has the power to create ice and snow. They never really explain why she has these powers other than to say she was born that way. You kinda just have to go with it. On the day of her coronation, a combination of all the emotions she's bottled up and an argument with Anna causes her to accidentally trap Arendelle in eternal winter (sort of the way it feels here in New York right now). Fearing she's become a monster, Elsa runs away. It's up to Anna to find her and try to figure out a way to save the kingdom. She's aided in her journey by  mountain man Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), his reindeer Sven, and a funny magical snowman named Olaf (Josh Gad).

Major props to directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee as well as the animation department for bringing this story to life. The animation is gorgeous. The story is sweet and clever and can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

One of the many things I like about Frozen is while the whole romance aspect is there, it's not the main focus of the movie. It's really about the relationship between two sisters.

Of course, I can't write this review and not mention the amazing soundtrack. Every song is really catchy, especially Let it Go. There's no way you can hear it and not get it stuck in your head for days. Is it overplayed? Definitely. I mean, I'm a preschool teacher and I hear that song about a million times a day. It's still a great song though.

I normally don't hand out too many perfect ratings, but I can't honestly think of a single flaw in this movie. Frozen reminds me so much of the Disney movies I grew up with- The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, etc. It seems like Disney may finally be heading back in the right direction.

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment