Saturday, March 29, 2014

Noah (IMAX)

WARNING: There may be some slight spoilers in this review. I don't really consider them spoilers, but some people might. 

Being such a huge Russell Crowe fan, I'll watch just about any movie he's in. This is no exception. And while this isn't my favorite movie of his, I can honestly say that Noah is still pretty decent.

There's really no point in going into details about the plot since most of us are familiar with the story- Noah (Russell Crowe) is chosen by God, who is referred to in this movie as "The Creator", to build an arc, save the animals, etc. in order to survive the apocalypse so the world can start over new.

Make no mistake though, this is NOT the version of Noah's Arc that most of us heard when we were kids. Director Darren Aronofsky takes several liberties, which I was okay with for the most part. Although there were several acid trip like moments that I could have done without. I wasn't really surprised given Darren's previous work, included Black Swan which I liked.

Despite the odd moments I mentioned, the visuals were one of my favorite things about this. Everything looked stunning, especially in IMAX. If you're planning on seeing this in theaters and have one in your area, IMAX is definitely the way to go.

The acting was outstanding. Russell Crowe was brilliant it goes without saying. But someone who really stood out to me was Emma Watson. She is becoming a great young actress, which I already knew being a Harry Potter fan. I always had a feeling that of the three main actors from that franchise, she would be the most successful.

Jennifer Connelly is also in this and while she does a good job, there's really not much for her character to do.

Anthony Hopkins plays Noah's grandfather. Despite having only about 10 (maybe 15) minutes of screen time, he makes the most of it.

This movie is not for everyone. It starts off kind of slow and even has a few things that will make you go, "Umm, what?" For example, there's talking rock giants. I kid you not. They neglected to mention those in the trailer.

Also, without giving too much away, there's several moments toward the end that took me out of the movie for a moment and made me REALLY angry (and forced me to lower my rating). Luckily it redeems itself.

Despite it's nearly two and a half hour run time, I was never bored. Noah is one of those movies that may not be perfect, but I think you should give it a chance.

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment