Sunday, March 2, 2014

Non-Stop

Sorry for the short review. I'm still trying to get over a bad cold and just didn't feel like writing too much. I promise next weeks review will be better.

I had totally forgotten that this movie was coming out until a few days ago. Liam Neeson kicking ass for two hours? Sign me up!

Yes, Non-Stop is pretty much the same movie Liam has been making over and over again these last few years. Only this time it takes place on a plane. He plays a US air marshal named Bill Marks. He's on a transatlantic flight when all of a sudden he receives a series of text messages that say if he doesn't wire $150 million into an account then someone on the plane will die every 20 minutes. Obviously someone on the plane sent the messages so it's a race against time as Bill tries to find out who is behind all this and save the day.

Liam Neeson is probably one of my favorite actors. He can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. And while this is far from his best role, it's still pretty good. You don't get a heck of a lot about his character's back story, but you get enough information so you're not completely confused.

The director Jaume Collet-Serra (who directed Liam a few years ago in Unknown, which was decent but nothing to rave about) does a lot of showing rather than telling. I love how he shot the movie, which made you feel like you were seeing things from Bill's perspective and how he observes the people around him. I thought it was pretty creative.

The only other character that they try to develop is Jen, played by the great Julianne Moore. She's a passenger who befriends Bill and helps him solve the mystery.

The fight sequences were the best part of the movie for me, even if they did get a little silly by the end. Still, I had a lot of fun and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

The movie gets major points taken off though for the ending. When you finally get to the big reveal, it makes you go "That's it??". Such a letdown on what was otherwise a decent movie.

If you're into movies like this, I'd say give it a try. Especially if you're a Liam Neeson fan. However, I wouldn't rush out to see it or anything.

My Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment