Saturday, February 28, 2015

Kingsman: The Secret Service

So many people have recommended this movie to me and now I can see why. Kingsman was amazing!

The movie is based off a comic book of the same name and tells the story of Gary "Eggsy" Unwin (Taron Egerton)- a promising but troubled young man who is recruited by Harry Hart (Colin Firth) to join an elite spy organization called Kingsman. Meanwhile, tech mastermind Richard Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson) is planning on wiping out a good portion of the world's population. It's up to the Kingsman to stop him.

Is it crazy and over the top? Absolutely. And I loved every minute of it. Normally I can't stand when a movie does something like this but director Matthew Vaughn really makes it work. The action sequences were well choreographed and so much fun, especially the church scene. I'm glad they decided to go all out and make it rated R instead of going the PG-13 route the way most movies do these days. Matthew Vaughn doesn't shy away from showing blood and peoples limbs being cut off. Had he been forced to make it PG-13 I don't think it would've been the same. 

I had never really heard of Taron Egerton until this but he really impressed me. Hopefully he does well in the future.

Of course, the main reason why I wanted to see Kingsman was Colin Firth. I've always been a huge fan of his but even I wonder if he could pull of a movie like this. It's so different from anything he's done before. He's so bad ass and was by far my favorite thing about the movie. To be honest I enjoyed his scenes more than I did Eggsy's.

Samuel L. Jackson makes a great villain. The only thing that bothered me was that for some reason his character talked with a lisp. It was a little distracting and I couldn't tell what he was going for. 

Despite that and a few minor complaints which I can't talk about without spoiling the ending, I really enjoyed Kingsman. I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in awhile. It reminded me a lot of those classic James Bond movies. Go and check it out. You won't regret it.

My Rating: 9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment