Saturday, June 6, 2015

Spy

I had every intention of avoiding this movie like the plague. But then several friends told me that it was actually good so I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I listened to them and didn't bade my decision on the trailers, which made this out to be just another dumb Melissa McCarthy "Hey look at me I'm fat!" type of movie. There's a few moments of that to an extent, but I ended up really enjoying the movie.

Spy stars Melissa McCarthy as Susan Cooper, a desk bound CIA analyst who ends up volunteering to go undercover and infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer.

What surprised me the most was that not only was this a comedy, but it also had some really good action sequences. They don't shy away from the violence either. There's people getting shot in the head, stabbed, poisoned, etc. If you're a little squeamish this may not be the movie for you.

I hope Melissa McCarthy does more movies like this because she's actually not a bad actress. I especially loved her scenes with Jason Statham. The two of them actually work well together and it looked like they had a lot of fun. Speaking of Jason Statham, it was great seeing him play a character that's pretty much a parody of every other character he's ever played.

Paul Fieg (who also directed Bridesmaids and The Heat) does a decent job writing and directing. Most of the jokes were pretty funny, but a few of them just didn't work for me. Also, I felt like the movie went on a just a little too long. It would've been even better had he cut out about 20 minutes.

Spy was a really fun and refreshing take on the spy spoof movie. While it's not nearly as good as Kingsman, it's still worth checking out.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment