Sunday, October 18, 2015

Crimson Peak (IMAX)

Call me crazy, but I loved Guillermo del Toro's last movie Pacific Rim. In fact I've always been a fan of his work. I know I'm not the only one. So when I heard he was making this I knew I had to see it opening night. That and of course, Charlie Hunnam is in it. While I think I liked Pacific Rim just a little bit more, Crimson Peak is still a really good movie. 

Mia Wasikowska stars as Edith Cushing, an aspiring author who has been able to see ghosts ever since the death of her mother years ago. She meets a mysterious outsider named Thomas Sharpe (Tom Hiddleston) and his sister Lucille (Jessica Chastain). After yet another family tragedy Edith marries Thomas and goes to live with him and Lucille in their home that is the very definition of a haunted house. Sensing something isn't right, Dr. Alan McMichael (Charlie Hunnam)- Edith's friend since they were children and as you probably guessed is in love with her, begins to investigate. 

I'll say this about Guillermo del Toro, he sure knows how to make beautiful movies. Especially period pieces like this. And his attention to detail... Wow!! I can see why this movie took so long to make. 

The cast was just perfect. Jessica Chastain can't seem to give a bad performance. She's absolutely terrifying as Lucille. I found myself more scared of her than I was the ghosts. The ghosts to me were more creepy than they were scary. 

I know a lot of women will disagree with me, but I don't find Tom Hiddleston to be all that attractive. Don't get me wrong he's a great actor and he's very charming in this, but he just doesn't do anything for me. 

Charlie Hunnam on the other hand... Damn!! That man is just so gorgeous it isn't funny. The things I would do to him. He has more of a supporting role in this but he's really good. It made me want to yell at the screen at Mia Wasikowska, You idiot! You've got a great guy here who clearly loves you and you go for the creepy outsider instead? What the fuck is wrong with you??

I would've liked this movie even more had it not been so predictable. I was able to guess what the big reveals were very early on in the movie. I also found myself a little disappointed. Going into this I thought it would be more of a horror movie. Instead it ended up being a gothic romance. A very good gothic romance but still. 

Crimson Peak is the perfect movie to watch this time of year. I highly recommend you spend the extra money and see it in IMAX. And if you're a fan of Guillermo del Toro's previous movies, you'll enjoy this as well. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment