Saturday, October 31, 2015

Steve Jobs

Every so often a movie comes along that is so good that I leave the theater afterward completely speechless. Steve Jobs is one of those movies. 

For those of you going into this expecting your typical biopic then you'll be very disappointed. It doesn't follow the usual rise, fall, and redemption story you're use to seeing. But I love the fact that it does something different. The movie instead mainly focuses on the behind the scenes of three major product launches in Steve Jobs' career- 1984's Macintosh, 1988's NeXT Computer, and 1998's iMac. You also get to see his relationship with his daughter Lisa who for years, despite a DNA test proving otherwise, denied he was her father. 

Another thing I love is that the movie doesn't shy away from the fact that Steve Jobs was not a very nice guy. A genius yes but still an asshole. He treated people like shit. The only one that can put up with him most of the time is marketing executive Joanna Hoffman (Kate Winslet). 

The movie is directed by Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours). The way he shot it makes it feel like a series of small plays which was a brilliant move. And he sure knows how to get great performances out of his actors. 

Of course, a lot of the credit has to go to Aaron Sorkins for his incredible screenplay. The dialog here is some of the best I've seen in a movie in years. 

And then there's Michael Fassbender. Wow! He sure is good at playing assholes. It just goes to show you too that you don't have to look like the person in order to make people believe you are them. Michael Fassbender doesn't look a damn thing like Steve Jobs. But from the moment the movie started I was sucked in by his performance. I'll tell you this much, if he doesn't win Best Actor this year then a big FUCK YOU to the Academy. 

One performance that really surprised me was Seth Rogen who played Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak. There's a scene towards the end where his character calls Steve Jobs out on everything that made my jaw drop it was so good. I really hope he starts doing more dramas like this instead of those dumb comedies. 

I thought about it a lot and I honestly can't think of any flaws. It's a well made, well acted movie that I highly recommend people go out and support. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment