Saturday, October 10, 2015

Everest (3D)

When I first heard they were making this movie I thought great, here's another movie about a bunch of dumbasses doing something crazy for no reason, shit happens but yet they somehow all manage to survive. Boy was I wrong! Everest is a wonderful movie that is not only visually stunning, but gives you a huge emotional punch in the gut. 

Everest is based on the true story of a group of climbers lead by Rob Hall (Jason Clarke). On May 10, 1996 they are about to make their final ascent to the summit of Mt. Everest. Suddenly, a huge storm hits. Facing extremely harsh conditions, the group struggles to survive against all odds. 

Director Baltasar Kormakur (2 Guns, Contraband) has put together an amazing cast that includes not only Jason Clarke but- Josh Brolin, Jake Gyllenhaal, John Hawkes, Sam Worthington, and many more. While they don't look like their real life counterparts they do a good job portraying them. There are many times thought the movie however, where it is so snowy and windy that you have a hard time keeping track of who's who. It's very confusing but nothing that should stop you from seeing it. 

A lot of credit should go to the visual effects team. I'm not sure how much of it was filmed on actual locations and how much was green screen but it was beautiful. Especially when you see it in 3D. The 3D isn't as in your face as other movies, but it still makes you feel like you're on that mountain with them. Definitely worth the extra money. My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to see this in IMAX. I can only imagine how incredible it looks in that format. 

The movie is only about two hours long but it does drag a little. At the same time, it ends rather abruptly. Leaving you wanting just a few more minutes to deal with all the emotions brought on. If it wasn't for that I would have given this a perfect rating. 

Everest is a brilliant movie that I highly recommend. While there's no way in hell I would ever attempt climbing a mountain like that, I now have respect for people who do. Just be prepared- it's very much a downer. You'll want to go home afterward, put on Netflix and watch nothing but comedies just to cheer yourself up. If you can deal with that, go see this while it's still in theaters. 

My Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment