Saturday, November 28, 2015

Creed

When they first started talking about doing a Rocky spinoff awhile back, I was nervous. The sixth movie in the franchise had wrapped things up nicely. I figured, why keep it going? Why not end it on a good note? But then more details came out about the plot, the cast, and who was directing it. I was like okay, maybe this could work. Then I saw the first trailer and was completely on board. I had to see this opening weekend. So what's the final verdict? Well I didn't think anything could top Beasts of No Nation as the best movie I've seen this year, but Creed has done it. What an amazing movie!

Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan) is the son of boxing legend Apollo Creed. He grew up knowing who his father was, but never met him since Apollo died before he was born.  He's also a boxer but wants to make a name for himself separate from his father. Needing a trainer, Adonis heads to Philadelphia and enlists the help of Apollo's good friend and former rival Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone). 

The movie is directed by Ryan Coogler, who also directed Michael B. Jordan in Fruitvalle Station (a great movie that I highly recommend if you haven't seen it already). He does an amazing job providing a fresh take on the franchise and making it fit into this universe without being disrespectful. There's several nods to the original movies but it never feels like they're saying, "Hey look at this! Remember this? Wink wink." The way most of these types of movies do. Also, the cinematography is gorgeous and the editing is well done. There's this one fight scene that he filmed in one long take that just blew me away. All of the fight scenes were so well done that I completely forgot I was watching a movie and not an actual boxing match. And I'll say this about Ryan Coogler, he sure knows how to get great performances out of his actors. 

Speaking of that, boy do Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone deserve recognition come award season for their powerful performances. They work so well together. And it's nice to see Rocky isn't reduced to a cameo in this movie but has his own storyline. This is just as much his movie as it is Adonis's. It was so heartbreaking to watch that I couldn't help but tear up. I swear if Stallone doesn't at least get a Best Supporting Actor nomination then the Academy can go fuck themselves. 

Tessa Thompson is also in this playing Adonis's girlfriend Bianca. Did the movie really need a love interest? No. But it's not really a big part of the story and I liked the character so I didn't mind. 

The musical score by Ludwig Goransson fits wonderfully. Definitely another one I'll be adding to my iPod. And yes, you do briefly get to hear the original Rocky theme . I won't say what scene it's in but they couldn't have placed it better. Everyone in the audience got so excited. 

This was one of the best theater experiences I've had in a long time. People were so into it. The entire audience, myself included, were on the edge of their seats cheering and clapping. It was so much fun. 

Everyone should just stop what they're doing right now and go see Creed. I can't recommend this movie enough. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and walk out of the theater with a big smile on your face. I can't wait to see where they take the franchise from here. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment