Sunday, November 22, 2015

Mockingjay part 2 (IMAX)

I can't believe it's all over. Not only does Mockingjay part 2 signify the end of The Hunger Games franchise, which I've been a huge fan of since the beginning, but most likely the last good YA franchise we'll ever see. Seriously, what else is there? Divergent? Ugh! Anyway, while Mockingjay was my least favorite of the books I really enjoyed part 1 of the movie adaptation. I think part 2 is just as good. Maybe even a little better. 

The movie takes place just days (maybe even minutes) after the events of part 1. Panem is now in full scale war, with each of the districts united against the Capitol. Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and company make their way into the Capitol in an attempt to assassinate President Snow (Donald Sutherland, who has always played the role with such calmness that it's downright frightening). Of course, this won't be easy. Snow has laid out many deadly traps (called pods) throughout the city. In order to free Panem, Katniss risks losing everyone she loves. 

Director Francis Lawrence has once again done an excellent job bringing the book to life. I haven't read the book since right around the time the first movie came out but it seems like a pretty faithful adaptation. There were a few slight changes that I thought worked, although there were a few that didn't. My only complaints as far as the direction goes is that at times the movie felt rushed (despite its 2 hour 16 minute runtime). Also, there were some shots in the sewer scene that were so dark I couldn't tell who was who. But overall the direction was good with plenty of action that more than makes up for the slow set up of part 1. Not that I had a problem with that but I know some people did. 

Jennifer Lawrence continues to be one of my favorite actresses. She was the perfect choice for Katniss. This movie is so depressing and she really nails those scenes where she has to get super emotional. It broke my heart watching her. 

The one who I'd say has improved the most is Josh Hutcherson. In the first movie I just couldn't buy him as Peeta. But over time he has gotten better and now I love his interpretation of the character. 

I do have some other issues with the movie but those are really the same issues I had with the book. I would love to go into more details but then I would be spoiling too much. 

If you have a theater with an IMAX screen near you I highly recommend you see the movie in that format. It looks amazing and well worth the extra money. 

Bottom line, Mockingjay part 2 is a really good movie and a fitting conclusion to the series. While Catching Fire is still my favorite out of all of them, it's still worth seeing. A big thank you to Gary Ross and Francis Lawrence for bringing these wonderful characters to life. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment