Saturday, February 13, 2016

Deadpool (IMAX)

Despite being a huge fan of superhero/comic book movies, I didn't know that much about Deadpool. I'd only ever seen him in X-Men Origins: Wolverine which was so bad that I (like many people, including Ryan Reynolds I'm sure) like to pretend that it doesn't exist. When I first saw the trailer for this I thought it would be really good. Well, it's not good... It's fucking amazing!

The movie stars Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool- a mercenary who is diagnosed with terminal cancer. He undergoes experiments which give him accelerated healing powers, but at a high cost. Armed with his new abilities, he sets out to find Ajax (Ed Skrein)- the one responsible for doing this to him. 

Yes, this is technically a superhero movie. Although Deadpool is really more of an anti hero. Instead of trying to save the world, really all he wants to do is be reunited with his girlfriend Vanessa (Morena Baccarian) and get revenge on the asshole who destroyed his life. At the same time, it's very much a satire of these types of movies. It's clever and makes fun of itself a lot. 

You can tell Ryan Reynolds had so much fun making this. He was a producer as well. I always knew he was a good actor. He just happened to be in a lot of shitty movies. I can't imagine anyone else playing Deadpool. He's very funny and charming. 

Speaking of funny, this movie is loaded with humor. From the moment the opening credits started, I knew I was in for a treat. I was laughing so hard that at times I could barely breathe. 

Huge props to director Tim Miller for putting this all together. The budget was 30 million, which is pretty low as far as these movies go. But with a lot of great visuals and kick ass action sequences, it looked way better than a lot of movies with triple that budget. 

I also enjoyed the love story, which going into this I thought would take away from it. Quite the opposite- it actually made it even better. Very tragic and sweet in its own way. Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarian had really good chemistry. 

This being a Marvel movie, it should go without saying- STAY UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS. All I'll say is it's really funny. 

Also, it looks great on an IMAX screen. Definitely worth the extra money to see it in this format. 

I can't really think of any flaws. It's the perfect movie to release on Valentine's Day weekend. It has something for everyone- romance, action, and humor all rolled up into one. I will definitely be seeing this again in theaters it's that good. It's right on up there with the first Avengers and The Winter Soldier as the best Marvel movie I've ever seen. You should stop what you're doing right now and go see it. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment