Saturday, March 19, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane

In this day and age it's very hard to keep anything a secret, especially a movie. Which is why I'm amazed that they were able to pull it off with 10 Cloverfield Lane. Nobody knew this existed until about two months ago when they released a trailer. It was mysterious and left people with so many questions- What's going on here? Is this a sequel to 2008's Cloverfield? I knew I had to see this for myself and now that I have I can tell you that it's really good. 

The movie is about a young woman named Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). She gets into a car accident and when she wakes up she discovers that she's being held in a bomb shelter by Howard (John Goodman), who claims that the world has been affected by a chemical/nuclear attack. 

That's all I'll say as far as the plot goes. It's best if you go into this movie with as little details as possible. 

This is Dan Trachtenberg's directorial debut as far as feature length movies go (I think he had directed a few short films before this) and I must say I'm impressed. He's created this very tense story and paid a lot of attention to details. The editing and camera work is very good. And dear God is the soundtrack/score amazing. It fits perfectly with each scene and will definitely be added to my iPod at some point. 

The casting was perfect. I can't imagine anyone else playing these roles. To me though this was really John Goodman's movie. I've always been a huge fan of his and this performance is right up there as one of his best. I was constantly on the edge of my seat wondering what he would do. One minute he'd be calm and then all it would take was the slightest thing for him to snap. Very unsettling. 

My only issue is with the ending. I wouldn't call it bad except you really have to suspend your disbelief. I have no problem doing that but they were really pushing it. Also, it probably should have ended about ten minutes sooner than it did. 

I highly recommend 10 Cloverfield Lane, especially if you're a fan of thrillers. I'm looking forward to the next movie if they decide to do one. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment