Saturday, March 5, 2016

Zootopia (IMAX 3D)

I was originally planning on seeing London Has Fallen this weekend, but after the shit I went through last week with Gods of Egypt I figured I needed a break from Gerard Butler movies. And after hearing nothing but good things about Zootopia I decided to check it out for myself. I definitely think I made the right decision. Zootopia is one of the most well made, sweet, and heartfelt movies I've seen in a long time. 

The movie takes place in a world where humans don't exist. Animals have evolved over the years and have formed societies where they live and thrive, including the great city of Zootopia. Judy Hopps (voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin) becomes the first rabbit on the police force and quickly learns how tough it is. But she's determined to prove herself. When several animals revert back to their predator ways, Judy is forced to team up with a con artist fox named Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) in order to solve the mystery. 

One of the first things you'll notice is that this is not your usual kids movie that dumbs it down and resorts to things like bodily function jokes. Instead it brings up a lot of important issues that are very relevant today but it does it in a way that kids can understand. Honestly though, I think it's adults that get the most out of it. It makes you think about how we treat people in society and forces us to come to terms with our own prejudices. There's also jokes that go way over a kid's head and had me laughing several times. 

Major props to the animation team for all their hard work. It really is a gorgeous movie. I was especially impressed with all the attention to detail. Everything from the character's facial expressions to the design of the city looked really good. 

The directors brought together an impressive list of actors to provide voices and they all did a great job. My favorites were Ginnifer Goodwin, Jason Bateman, and Idris Elba (who plays police chief Bogo). 

I really can't think of any flaws with the actual movie. The only thing I'll say is I saw this in IMAX 3D and it really didn't add that much to the experience. The 3D was okay but not all that noticeable for the most part. Normally I might take off a point for that but I loved the movie so much that I'm willing to let it slide. But if you're like me and don't want to spend your night in a theater full of screaming children then it's worth the high cost shuts so you won't have to put up with that shit. 

I can't recommend Zootopia enough. It's a very sweet movie that's surprisingly deep. Something both kids and adults can enjoy. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment