Sunday, March 5, 2017

I Am Not Your Negro

Plot:
The story of race in America, based on an unfinished novel written by James Baldwin. 

Pros:
•Wow! I'm so happy they finally played this movie in my area. Been wanting to see this for awhile and it did not disappoint. I'll admit that while I had heard of James Baldwin before, I didn't know too much about him. What an amazing man. You see several clips of him giving speeches and it's very powerful. His words still ring true today. 
•This is not an easy movie to sit through and that's the point. It's not meant to be easy. I was in tears several times while watching this and yet I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't once look away from the screen. 
•I love the way director Raoul Peck incorporated both footage from both the 60s as well as the present day. As much as we'd like to think things have improved in regards to race issues, sadly, they really haven't that much. 
•I saw several parents bringing their (older) children to see this movie and I'm glad. It's something that I think they and everyone else needs to see. 
•Great soundtrack that fit perfectly with each scene. 
•Narration by Samuel L. Jackson. If I ever made a movie that required narration, he'd be on the short list of people who I'd want to use. 

Cons:
•This really isn't a big complaint but I felt like the movie was a little too short. I think it was just over an hour and a half. It's just that I was so interested in the story and didn't want it to end. I could've easily sat there for another hour or more. 

My Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment