Friday, March 10, 2017

Kong: Skull Island

SPOILER ALERT: Might be a few minor spoilers in my review but  nothing major. 

Plot:
In the 1970s a team of scientists, explorers, and soldiers explore an uncharted island in the Pacific. There, they encounter the mighty Kong. 

Pros:
•They don't waste any time in showing you Kong, which was my main concern after the bullshit they pulled with Godzilla a few years ago. 
•Any time Kong appeared on screen, especially when he was fighting some of the other terrifying creatures on the island, was completely badass. My jaw literally dropped more than once. It was so much fun to watch. Major props to the visual effects team who did a great job for the most part. 
•John Goodman, John C. Reilly, and Samuel L. Jackson gave good performances. They were by far the most interesting characters in the movie. Definitely made the scenes where they focused on the humans much more tolerable. 
•The epic stare downs between Kong and Samuel L. Jackson. Those alone were worth the price of admission. 
•Really nice cinematography. 
•I like how they set the movie during Vietnam this time around rather than the 30s like they did in the original and the Peter Jackson version. Very interesting take. 
•STAY AFTER THE CREDITS! I won't give anything away, but it sets things up nicely for  where they're going with this universe. Very exciting. 

Cons:
•Aside from the three characters I mentioned, I found myself not caring that much about the others. 
•A few moments where the backgrounds were obviously green screen. 
•I liked the scene, but they make you sit through a ridiculous amount of credits to get to it. I thought they would never end!
•Overall I liked the movie and while I recommend it, I don't think it's worth seeing in IMAX 3D or regular 3D (the movie is dark enough as it is and 3D probably only makes it worse). I saw it in 2D and it looks just fine. Save yourself the extra money. 

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment