Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Exception

Plot:
A German soldier (Jai Courtney) is assigned as a guard at the home of Kaiser Wilhelm (Christopher Plummer) in Holland during World War II. He ends up falling in love with a young Jewish woman (Lily James), a maid in Kaiser's home. 

Pros:
•I know many won't believe me, but Jai Courtney actually gives a decent performance. He's not that bad when given the right material and direction. He and Lily James (who's also good in this) had good chemistry and there were some genuinely sweet moments between the two. 
•Very interesting story that up until now I hadn't heard before. 
•They got the look and feel of the time period right for the most part. 
•I'm pretty sure this is the directorial debut of David Leveaux. Consider this, he does a nice job. 
•You get to see Jai Courtney naked. I'm talking full frontal. Despite what you may think of his acting abilities, he's very nice to look at ;) 

Cons:
•Felt a little too rushed. I wish they had taken the time to develop the characters more. The movie could've benefited from being about 20 minutes longer. 
•The legendary Christopher Plummer (whom I've always liked) is in this and it felt to me like he was phoning it in. Or drunk. Or both. 
•Jai Courtney's attempt at a Germany accent. Kept going in and out. Not the worst I've heard but it was still distracting. 
•Musical score was beautiful but it kept overpowering certain scenes. 

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment