Friday, January 12, 2018

The Post

Plot:
Based on the true story of Katharine Graham (Meryl Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper and her editor Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks). Together they work to expose a massive cover up of government secrets that span 30 years and 4 US Presidents. 

Pros:
•An interesting story that up until recently I didn’t know too much about about. 
• Meryl Streep gives another great performance . Tom Hanks as well. Is it the best roles of their career? Well, no. But still better than most actors these days. I thought they played off of each other very well. 
•If you’re more a fan of fast paced movies with a lot of action (in the blow things up sense) this is NOT the movie for you. It’s very dialogue heavy. Brilliant dialogue but still. Literally the whole thing, for the most part, is people sitting around talking. I don’t necessarily mind this but I know some people will. Just thought I’d warn you. 
•You get to see what the inside of what it takes to run a newspaper which I thought was kind of cool. 
•Spielberg nails down the look and feel of the time period fairly well. Even the way it was shot. 

Cons:
•Moves at an agonizingly slow pace in the first act. I don’t mind slow movies but damn was that a chore to get through. I had to fight the urge to nod off. 
•That being said, the third act was extremely rushed. Which is sad because that was probably the most interesting part. 
•Not exactly Spielberg’s best. I feel like there was so much more that he could’ve done with the material. 
•Do I recommend this movie? Sure why not. Especially if you’re a fan of Streep or Hanks. I wouldn’t rush out to see it however. 

My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment