Sunday, January 14, 2018

Darkest Hour

Plot:
During the early days of World War II, newly appointed Prime Minister Winston Churchill (Gary Oldman) must decide wether to negotiate a peace treaty with Hitler or stand firm and fight. 

Pros:
•I’m a huge fan of British period pieces. And one starring the great Gary Oldman? Sign me up! I’ve been wanting to see this movie for awhile now and it did not disappoint. 
•Gary Oldman completely transforms himself and delivers an Oscar worthy performance. I really think he’s going to win this year. When I was watching this, especially whenever he would give a speech, I didn’t see him- I saw Winston Churchill. 
•Strong supporting cast, I especially enjoyed Lily Evans who plays Churchill’s secretary. 
•Director Joe Wright once again nails done the look and feel of the time period. 

Cons:
•Does drag a bit in a few spots. 
•This is just a minor nitpick but every so often on the screen in very large letters they would put the date the events were taking place. Completely unnecessary. 
•Ends rather abruptly. I understand why they chose to end it there but still, I would’ve liked to have seen a bit more. 

My Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment