Friday, March 30, 2018

Ready Player One

Please Note: I’ve never read the book so I can’t really comment on how the movie compares to it. From what I’ve heard though there are a number of changes. 

Plot:
It’s the year 2045. The only time Wade Watts  (Tye Sheridan) feels truly alive is when he escapes to the OASIS- a virtual universe. When its creator James Halliday (Mark Rylance) dies he leaves an Easter egg which will give whoever finds it complete control and his entire fortune. Wade eventually finds the first clue and it changes his life forever. 

Pros:
•Nostalgia galore!! This was fun to watch and I’ll admit I geeked out with every little Easter egg I saw. There were so many! 
•Great visuals. I especially love the design of all the avatars. 
•Mark Rylance was probably my favorite performance. He’s really not in it all that much but I found his character very fascinating and kind of tragic as well. 
•By far the better of the two Spielberg movies I’ve seen recently. 
•Really enjoyed the soundtrack. It was cool to hear a lot of the songs I grew up listening to. 

Cons:
•Most of the characters were pretty thin. I wasn’t expecting them to be super deep or anything but a little more development would’ve been nice. 
•Dragged a bit in spots. I was never bored but at times you could feel the length (the movie is about 2 hours and 20 minutes). 
•Some of the dialogue was a little cringeworthy. 

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment