Friday, September 6, 2019

It Chapter Two

Plot:
Twenty seven years after their first encounter with Pennywise (Bill Skarsgård), The Losers Club returns to Derry as adults and tries to stop him once and for all. 


2017’s It was a surprise for me. I went into the movie (having not watched the original mini series since I was a kid) expecting it to be good and ended up being one of my favorites that year. One of the few horror movies in recent years to truly terrify me. So I’ve been very much looking forward to Chapter Two. So is it as good as the first one? Well.... not quite. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit. 

One of the best things about both movies is the casting. They were pretty spot on and I enjoyed the older actors just as much as the younger ones (who you get to see again through use of flashbacks). I actually gave a shit about these characters. 

I also thought the scares were very effective.  Even though there is plenty of blood and gore, it doesn’t depend on that the way a lot of horror movies do. It’s mostly a lot of disturbing images that mess with your head which I think is way more effective. 

The movie is not without its faults, however. For one, even though the movie kept me mostly engaged, it didn’t need to be almost three hours long. There were times especially in the first hour or so where I felt the length. Some of that could’ve been trimmed down a bit. Also, the ending felt anticlimactic and a little cheesy. I definitely rolled my eyes a few times. 

Oh and don’t bother seeing this in IMAX. It adds nothing to the experience other than really noticing a few scenes that had some terrible cgi. See it on a regular screen and you’ll be fine. 

If you liked Chapter One I think you’ll like this as well. This was certainly better than most horror movies you’ll see these days. 

My Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment