Friday, January 6, 2017

Fences

Plot-
Based on the award winning play. Troy (Denzel Washington), a working class man, struggles to take care of his family in 1950s Pittsburgh and to come to terms with all that life has thrown at him. 

Pros:
•Going into this I already familiar with the play, although I was never fortune enough to actually see it. For those like me, good news- Denzel has brought the experience right into theaters. It feels just like the play. There really aren't too many sets aside from the house and the backyard. 
•A lot of the credit to August Wilson who wrote the original play, which is a powerful story that kept me interested the entire time. And to Denzel as well. I don't think think this film adaptation would've been the same had he not directed it. 
•Speaking of Denzel, he and Viola Davis are flawless in their roles. Not surprising because they performed these same roles on Broadway I think over 100 times. They totally deserve all the praise and recognition their getting this award season. Denzel was so intense in this that nobody in the theater I was in said a damn word throughout the whole movie. You could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. 
•A lot of attention to detail. It really looks and feels like the 50s. 
•Doesn't rely too heavily on a musical score the way a lot of these Oscar movies might. 
•Another actor that I absolutely loved in this was Mykelti Williamson, who plays Troy's brother Gabe. A war injury has left him mentally disabled. His performance was so heartbreaking and well done that it left me in tears. 
•It's over two hours but it sure didn't feel like it to me. I was so drawn into this story. My only regret is not being able to see this before I made my top 10 list. This would've made it for sure. 

Cons:
•Nothing that bothered me or worth taking a point off in my opinion, but some might not care for the very last minute of the film. Can't say much more without spoiling it. 

My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment