Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Handmaiden

Plot-
Set in 1930s Korea, a young woman named Sook-He (Tae-ri Kim) is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress. But not all is as it seems. 

Pros:
•Wow. Where do I even start? Going into this movie I didn't know too much about it other than what I saw in the trailer and heard from friends who said it was good. I thought I had an idea of what this would be about but I soon realized how wrong I was. Not that that's a bad thing. Far from it. I found myself mesmerized by the whole thing. I just couldn't look away except for a few brief moments at the end. Normally I would elaborate further about the story but in this case I decided against it. It's better to go into it like I did. You have to see it for yourself. Just be warned, it's not for everyone. 
•It's a beautifully shot movie. Chan-wook Park is a very talented director. A little fucked up for sure but that's not always a bad thing. He also gets some amazing performances from his actors, especially the two female leads. 
•Gorgeous costumes and cinematography. 

Cons:
•It's hard to keep up with at times in terms of each character and their motivations. 
•Dragged a little in the last two parts. Certain scenes just went on too long. Could've used some tighter editing. 

My Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment